If your weekend involved boiling, dyeing, hiding and finding lots of eggs then you are undoubtedly wondering what to do with that surplus of brightly colored hard boiled eggs staring out at you from the fridge this morning. Good news is there are lots of delicious ways to recycle the by product of your family's creative Easter endeavors. If the eggs were colored using dye, just remember to peel them carefully.
Curried Egg salad Sandwiches
Pressed Summer Sandwich With Eggs and Anchovies
1 12-ounce round crusty bread, sliced in half horizontally
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 anchovies or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup black olives, pitted and quartered
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced in half lengthwise
- Hollow out the bread by removing most of the inside crumb. Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb for the filling. Place the olive oil, capers,parsley, garlic, pepper, and anchovies (or salt) in a food processor. Process until the garlic is finely chopped, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the bell pepper,tomatoes, onion, olives, and the reserved bread filling. Toss to combine.Layer half the mixture in the bottom half of the hollowed-out bread. Top with the hard-cooked eggs and the remaining mixture. Replace the top of the loaf. Wrap the filled loaf with plastic wrap. Weigh it down with a heavy object, such as a cast-iron skillet filled with cans. Place it in the refrigerator. Let sit at least 10 hours or overnight. Before serving, cut the loaf into 6 wedges with a sharp bread knife.
Classic Deviled Eggs
12 hard boiled eggs
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons sweet relish
Paprika, for dusting
Separate egg yolks and place into a bowl. Place whites on a separate plate. Add mayo, mustard, relish and salt and pepper, to taste, to yolks and mash together with a fork until creamy and smooth. Using a large star tip and resealable plastic bag, pipe the yolk mixture back into each egg, enough to fill yolk holes completely. Dust tops with paprika. Refrigerate. Serve cold.
Or for a twist, try making these with spinach and parmesan cheese.
5 ounces packages frozen chopped spinach, cooked,cooled,drained and squeezed dry,finely chopped
12 hardboiled egg, peeled and cut in half
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
pepper, to suit taste
1. Remove yolks from the eggs and mash, Combine with the finely chopped spinach, cheese, nutmeg,dash of pepper Stir in the milk& mayo, mix well.
2. Spoon a well rounded tbsp of the mixture into each half egg, cover& chill until serving (up to 24 hours).